Green Minneapolis, in partnership with The Great Northern and the Mississippi Watershed Management Organization is seeking an artist to design and construct a signature artwork for The Great Northern Festival, inspired by Green Minneapolis’ Twin Cities Climate Resiliency Initiative.
Green Minneapolis is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) conservancy with the mission to advance the vibrancy of Minneapolis through parks and greening. Our vision is to grow a green future for our city, with tree-lined streets and active public spaces that enrich quality of life, create a healthier environment and connect people through place.
The Great Northern celebrates our cold, creative winters through 10 days of diverse programming that invigorate mind and body. In an era of changing climate that threatens our signature winter season, we seek to create community, inspire action, and share the resilient spirit of the North with the world. The signature artwork will be displayed at the Chill Out festival kickoff outside of Quincy Hall in NE Minneapolis on Wednesday, January 25, 2023. The Festival then runs from January 26 to February 5, 2023 where the art work will be on display at Peavey Plaza.
Scope of Work:
Design and construct a signature outdoor artwork for The Great Northern Festival. The intention is to feature the artwork outside of Quincy Hall, where the opening festival kick party will be held, and then move the work to Peavey Plaza for the remainder of the Festival. The work may also be featured at the Mississippi Watershed Management Organization and other host sites after the Festival.
Parameters for Work:
- Inspired by Green Minneapolis’ Twin Cities Climate Resiliency Initiative, the Twin Cities’ winter culture and the mission of the Mississippi Watershed Management Organization.
- On-site installation timeframe: 12pm-5pm (January 25); on-site de-installation timeframe: 9pm-11pm (January 25). Installation at Peavey Plaza January 26.
- Not to exceed the footprint of 10×10 sq.ft. and must have the ability to be relocated.
- No height limit as long as work is stable. Built to withstand all types of weather conditions and to ensure the safety of spectators.
- Compliant with City of Minneapolis construction code and permitting, as applicable.
- Electrical hook up available.
- Encouraged to be interactive.
Up to $10,000 is available. Please include a cost budget for the design, construction and installation (at Quincy Hall and at Peavey Plaza) and the de-installation of the artwork with the proposal.
Estimated Project Schedule:
The art work must be completed and ready for installation at Quincy Hall in NE Minneapolis on Wednesday, January 25, 2023. Project schedule is not flexible.
Proposals shall be submitted electronically in PDF format and shall include the following:
- Artist background and profile, including key project team members (1 page);
- Concept and vision for work and its relevance to the messaging stated above (1 page);
- Project plan draft (rough sketch), including an estimated timeline (1 page);
- Draft budget including Itemized cost estimates for labor and materials (1 page); and
- An example of applicable work created.
Final deadline for submissions is 4:00pm on Monday, October 24, 2022; all respondents will receive an email confirmation of receipt. Proposals will be reviewed during the week of October 24 and respondents will be notified by Friday, October 28, 2022.
All questions and proposals shall be directed to: